Wednesday, November 27, 2013

You put the lime in the coconut... cookies

These cookies. THESE COOKIES. I brought them to work (secretly to fatten up my coworkers because they're all looking a bit peaky), and they were DEVOURED. And I even got a few people dancing, because I renamed these cookies "Lime in the Coconut" cookies. Not sure why the previous blogger/inventor of this recipe didn't do this. Every now and then I have a stroke of genius... I think this was one of those moments.

This recipe: Chewy Key Lime Coconut Cookies by Will Cook For Smiles
What I changed: The name! These shall now be called "Lime in the Coconut" cookies. People will dance and be merry. Additionally, I used unsweetened shredded coconut, because this recipe already has a lot of sugar. Also, I didn't use key limes, because I didn't have any. Regular limes are approved for this recipe! Finally, there's a lot of "room temperature" this and "warm" that in the original recipe. We're going to ignore most of that, it makes the dough realllly wet and hard to work with.

Ingredients:
- 2.25 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded coconut (I used unsweetened)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup powder sugar (for rolling cookies)

STEP 1:
Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and shredded coconut together in a medium bowl, set aside.

Using an electric mixer, cream together the sugar, cream cheese, lime zest, and butter until light and fluffy. "Creaming" together something is basically when you mix together sugars and butter. Vocab lesson! (Ok, enough of that)

STEP 2:
Add the egg, milk, and lime juice until just mixed in.

Add in the flour/coconut mixture 1/3 at a time until just mixed in.


STEP 3: 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees at this point.

If the dough is too wet for you to work with, pop it in the fridge for 30 min.

Form 1 inch balls, lightly coating them with sugar as you put them onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Note: This is only half of the recipe! I got maybe 25-30 cookies out of this recipe.




STEP 4: 
Bake for 11 to 12 minutes, let them cool for a couple minutes, then try one. And yes, you can thank me (and the originally blogger if you want, I guess) by leaving a comment of joy. Or post lyrics from "Put the Lime in the Coconut" by the Baha Men. Either would make me happy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment